|One cap, the wasteland's currency in its smallest denomiantion.|
|Primary Use||Paying for these...|
Nuka-Cola and Beer
Bio Med Gels
Super Tool Kits
|Alternate Use||Player Trades|
Coin Toss Animation
|Base Price||1 caps|
NOTE: You can see a special coin-toss animation if you "USE" any Caps in a hand slot, and you'll see a message telling you if was heads or tails.
It was in the town of Hub where the people of the wasteland chose bottle caps as the new currency standard, which is why caps are sometimes called hubbucks. They were chosen because the technology needed to manufacture and paint them has been lost during the Great War, which limits the number of bottle caps that would appear in The World. That limited number also assures their value is preserved.
This doesn't mean the old Dollar-based currency is entirely gone. In fact, any branch of the FLC Bank will convert 6240 caps into 1248 Dollar coins, so you can use a working videocom machine, which only takes old coins. One such machine is found in Shady Sands and must be used multiple times during the Blood-Soaked Heroes quest.
How to Earn Caps
You can earn caps in many ways, and here are some examples:
- NPCs give you caps for completing certain Quests.
- Protecting Caravans earns you some pay.
- Bounty jobs like Snakebite in Junktown pays some caps.
- Running Water Barrels in the Water for the World job, earns you some caps.
- You can complete the Shoveling Poo quest to be rewarded both xp and caps.
- Get paid for Lifting Caravan Boxes and earn more XP.
- A successful Town Control will grant you a lot of caps.
- Usually, human NPCs in encounters have a small amount of caps on them.
- Barter with NPC merchants, selling items and getting their caps.
- Trade with other players, selling them some of your items for some caps.
- Maida Buckner will buy gecko pelts in Klamath at the Buckner Bar.
- Slavery is also a popular way to earn caps.
- Spears can be sold in Junktown to Sassy Givins.
- Junk can be sold to Trisha the Scavenger at Salvagers in the Boneyard.
- Caps can be found in various amounts in Footlockers, usually while hunting for blueprints.
- Bets are won during PvP fist-fighting in the Junktown Boxing Ring.