FOnline: Reloaded is a glorious extension of its immediate predecessor, FOnline: 2238, but with many ongoing enhancements and continued development.
FOnline: 2238 was a game based on the FOnline engine, developed by a small indie development group, the "Rotators", supported by the main developer of FOnline, A. Cvetinskiy, affectionately referred to as "Cvet". It was initially created in late December 2008, when FOnline's Open Beta Test 2 was ending. It is commonly admitted that FOnline: 2238 offered an alternative to the original FOnline, where mainly fights were happening with no level cap and tons of overpowered gear that was easily available.
- December 2008: The second Open Beta Test of FOnline will end soon. At that time, there were three servers running, but all with the same content: FOnline, developed by Cvet. And then, with Cvet's agreement, the rotators are allowed to modify the FOnline engine or game's content to make their own game, an alternative to the original FOnline game. FOnline: 2238 is hosted on an independent server.
- January 2009: Open Beta has vanished to be replaced by a Closed Beta Test where a few lucky testers can play the game, give their opinion, report bugs and suggest new features. The game, still only known as Factions Mod, can still be compared to the original FOnline, but the first big modifications appear: Factions Bases are available for players, introducing a brand new concept in the FOnline world.
- August 15, 2009: After several months in Close Beta Test, the Open Beta Test 3 begins. It's the third Open Beta Test for the FOnline game, but the first for the rotators game, now only known as FOnline: 2238. For the first time, everybody can play the game and test it.
- August 17, 2009: FOnline:2238 game's manual was released on a blog note.
- August 18, 2009: The official game's public board is opened as an NMA's subforum.
- August 30, 2009: A first server wipe happens, switching the game to a brand new database system, and updating game content with fixes and new features.
- November 21, 2009: A second full and long-scheduled wipe happens, three months after the August's one. It involves many updates, mostly on the game's economy.
- December 22, 2009: FOnline:2238's board was moved to an independant forum, http://fonline2238.net . This wiki is also released.