A season is a period of time between Wipes. Shown here is a chronology of seasons combining both 2238 and Reloaded servers, and including some additional points of interest.
FOnline: Reloaded is a glorious extension of its immediate predecessor, FOnline: 2238, but with many ongoing enhancements, continual feature updates, and additional development.
FOnline: 2238 was a game based on the FOnline engine, developed by a small indie development group, the "Rotators", supported by the main developer of FOnline, A. Cvetinskiy, affectionately referred to as "Cvet". It was initially created in late December 2008, when FOnline's Open Beta Test 2 was ending. FOnline: 2238 offered an alternative to the original FOnline, where mainly fights were happening with no level cap and with tons of overpowered gear that was easily available.
- Early 2004 - Development of the FOnline Engine begins, led by Cvet
- November 2008: TLA's OBT 2 Open Beta Test 2 begins.
- December 2008: The second Open Beta Test of FOnline will end soon. At that time, there were three servers running, but all with the same content: FOnline, developed by Cvet. And then, with Cvet's agreement, the rotators are allowed to modify the FOnline engine or game's content to make their own game, an alternative to the original FOnline game. FOnline: 2238 is hosted on an independent server.
- January 2009: Open Beta has vanished to be replaced by a Closed Beta Test where a few lucky testers can play the game, give their opinion, report bugs and suggest new features. The game, still only known as Factions Mod, can still be compared to the original FOnline, but the first big modifications appear: Factions Bases are available for players, introducing a brand new concept in the FOnline world.
- August 15, 2009: After several months in Close Beta Test, the Open Beta Test 3 begins. It's the third Open Beta Test for the FOnline game, but the first for the Rotators game, now only known as FOnline: 2238. For the first time, everybody can play the game and test it.
- August 17, 2009: FOnline:2238 game's manual was released on a blog note.
- August 18, 2009: The official game's public board is opened as an NMA's subforum.
- August 30, 2009: A first server Wipe happens, switching the game to a brand new database system, and updating game content with fixes and new features.
- November 21, 2009: A second full and long-scheduled wipe happens, three months after the August's one. It involves many updates, mostly on the game's economy.
- December 22, 2009: FOnline: 2238's board was moved to an independent forum, http://fonline2238.net . This wiki is also released.
- September, 2010: Third full server Wipe and start of 2238 Season 5 which runs ~1.5 years
- January 06, 2012: Forth full server Wipe and start of 2238 Season 6
- August 07, 2013: FOnline: Reloaded begins! (confirm date)
- May 01, 2015: FOnline: Reloaded Season 2 begins after a total server Wipe.
- December 01, 2015: Kilgore releases revised source code.
- September 01, 2017: Reloaded Season 3 begins after a total server Wipe, and introduces many new things.
- February 19, 2021: Reloaded Season 4 begins after a total server Wipe, because of various performance and stability issues.