A tent is a small personal hideout that you can establish in almost any random encounter map in the wasteland. Items stored inside the tent are safe, as long as you don't bring any thieving Characters there. Tents are "must have" for all Characters for storing their most valued Items.
How to Acquire a Tent
- Get Folded Tents by Crafting them
- A Folded Tent can be included in your Lander's Point Exit Package
- A Folded Tent is a reward for completing the tent quest
- There is an easy quest in Hub that also earns you a Folded Tent
Pitching a Tent
- Enter a random location on The World map (encounter should be empty/un-populated with no NPCs at all).
- Open Inventory and "USE" the Folded Tent. A message will be displayed, the screen goes dark for a moment, and the location will become your new tent. If you have any followers with you, they will also gain access to that tent (need to be checked). Parked Vehicles will also stay with you when you set up a tent.
- Make sure no one is with you in the encounter (enemies) (excluding own followers) or you won't be able to make the tent in such location.
You can check your Character's list of tents at any time by using the ~myinfo command. This shows tent names and map coordinates.
Forgetting Tent Location
One option for 'forgetting' a tent location is to click the Campfire there and choose to Abandon Tent, which yields back a Folded Tent on the ground. Grab that and use it again to rebuild a fresh tent location. Destroy the previous Tent Map, aka 'throw it in the fire' and make a new map for trusted Characters. A tent location that you learned from reading a Tent Map, can be forgotten via the Campfire and choosing "forget this location." This will not destroy the tent unless that Character was the original creator.
- Rename the tent
- Creating Tent Maps for sharing the tent's location
- Cooking certain Food items
- Destroying certain items, like Tent Maps
- Forgetting the tent location
Nobody can enter your tent unless they follow you (or follow anyone else who has access to your tent), so take care. People like to "tag" you and follow you, and if you're not cautious and don't look at who is in your party, you may introduce enemies into your tent. As long as nobody follows you to your private tent, then stuff stored inside is safe.
NOTE: If someone has "tagged" you and follows you into the wasteland, you can remove them from your party by holding your left click down on their Character name and selecting the "remove from party" option.
Your tent has a Crate container with limited storage space, but the Tent Map itself may contain an infinite amount of stuff, since you can store stuff on the ground. Gangs may use tents to store fighting gear or their fresh loot. If you add more Crates or Lockers you can use them to sort your Items.
It is common practice to arrange large amounts of Items in rows on the ground at a tent. By default, the tent has only one container which has limited space, and some tent owners prefer to keep the container free of clutter. Dropping items on the ground also provides a quick way of visualizing which items have been collected.
Not all tent locations look the same. Which one you get is based on the type of encounter in which you build the tent. Some are common like the standard desert tent map, or the city ruins tent map. One less common tent map is found in a coastal encounter with water. Building your tent inside the tent quest location will make a unique tent map with that large tree.
- When you choose to Forget Location, you are immediately thrown to The World map and all items at that tent will be gone, including Vehicles.
- Each tent has only one small storage Crate but additional containers can be added.
- Tents are useful as personal hideouts, safe parking places, gear storage, and potentially as Crafting locations.
- There are a few rare places on The World map that do not allow tents to be built. The zone with Gordon's Gas Station is one example.
|Character||SPECIAL · Traits · Perks · Skills · Skill points · Carry Weight · Levels · Armor Class · Reputation · Skins · NPC Factions · Player-Driven Factions · Reroll · Vault-Tec DB|
|Combat||Hit Chance · Critical Chance · Critical Hit · Aimed Attack · Resistances · Hit Points · Death · Miss · Critical Miss · Range · Sight · Fog of War · Shooting|
|Items||Weapons · Armors · Ammo · Resources · Blueprints · Craftables · Books · Drugs · Implants · Miscellaneous Items|
|And Other||Guides · Quests · Jobs · Telltales · Caravans · Caravan cart · Dungeons · Player Farm · Commands · Abbreviations · Merchants · Town Control · Vehicles · Tents · Safe Houses · Bases · Group Encounters · Special Encounters|