"You have entered Shady Sands, the capitol of the New California Republic. Its streets are busy and filled with traders and travelers of various kinds."
Shady Sands is the capital of the New California Republic state, and thus Shady Sands is often referred to as NCR (even though NCR is technically not a town). It is one of the larger cities, along with San Francisco and The Hub, which all provide services and are as large as the New California Republic's capital.
Shady Sands was a small town built by the survivors of the early-opened Vault 15. Villagers of Shady Sands were smart enough to build an army, and to develop their town. Later on, the New California Republic was created, with both police and military forces. Its great resources are coming from its large brahmin herds, and from the caravans that travel across the Republic. Directed by president Tandi for dozens of years, Shady Sands is still expanding. Well-driven and safe, this city can only grow stronger.
In Fallout 2, it is one of the biggest cities. The city is known to have over 3000 inhabitants in the original Fallout game, and this population can be compared to FOnline's one: Thanks to various features, NCR is one of the most crowded meeting places in The World. As it is a guarded city, wandering around in the town is quite safe. Players are able to trade safely and to talk to many NPCs that can give quests, train you in some Professions, and provide other services (Slavery, bank accounts, etc, see below).
- A Brahmin Herdsman's Job
- Bring junk for Emma (Miniquest)
- Buy cigarettes for Buster
- Holodisk for Thomas Moore
- Pay Back Mira's Debt
- Repair Geiger Counter for Mantis, the ghoul
- The Rail Line Gang
- NCR Raiders
- The Thousand Yard Stare
- Shell Shock My Hyper-Vigilance
- Love, or Something Like It
- Legacy of the Vault Dweller
- To Squash a Spider
- Too Much Blood and Broken Bones
- Beginners may earn some early Caps and XP here.
- NCR contains some jobs and quests.
- A guarded quarry just outside of town to the west is a great place to get Iron Ore and Minerals.
- Shoveling Poo is great in NCR since there are a lot of brahmin, including pens that are to the west.
- The Workbench (above the Brotherhood of Steel's bunker) attracts new crafters who don't have their own workbenches yet.
- Some of the NCR inhabitants can teach Crafting Professions. See the Crafting page for more information.
- Thirsty Ronald will beg you for water.
- Dr. Henry will refer you to Doc Jubilee, who can heal you and instruct you in the medical profession.
- Roger Westin's ranch is here, protected by an energy gate guarded by Grant, with Felix the Foreman, and Saltbeef Bob.
- The bank, located in the inner part of the town, can store your Caps in your own bank account.
- Vortis' building, in the outer part of the town (Northwest), can provide some slavery services.
- A merc seller is also located in NCR, before the entrance gates.
- You can trade with Merchants, like Seymour, or Buster the dwarf in the Northeast, or various bartenders.
- Sell Gold Nuggets to Mikey at the Son of Bob's booth.
- Ride the Train to and from the NCR Train Station.
- A Barber will cut your hair (shorten or make it longer) if you are a male. She is located in the bathhouse in the residence section.
- If you're Level 18 or higher, you can join Caravans as a guard, and earn a lot of XP.
- You might meet Dorothy and Toto but they don't have much to say.
- Speak with Elise to fight NCR Raiders. She and Gond are near the Workbench.
- Give a Doctor's Bag to old man Rickon, so he can fix his broken leg.
- Talk with Nora in the Rawhide Saloon about delivering a letter for her.
- If you brought A Light in the Darkness to Hope in Hub, talk with Detective Stark to start working another case.
- Buster in the Bazaar will trade Energy Weapons, Big Guns, and Small Guns.
- Mira in her Cantina just outside of Downtown will trade melee weapons, and Small Guns.
- Dusty of Dusty's Cantina within the city will trade Small Guns and melee weapons.
- Seymour in the Bazaar will trade Small Guns, and Armor.
- Vortis Holding Center
Shady Sands is located at Grid 34:27 (western central area).